Re: [MV] Reactions of Non MV Owners

From: Amikesomm@aol.com
Date: Tue Dec 07 1999 - 11:01:29 PST

  Regarding Reactions of Non MV types, when I was in lower SC I got all sorts
of terrific positive feedback from my M37, but being back here in Northern VA
where I grew up, I get none to negative, depending.
I dont' get mad at the general public any more since they elected Bill for
the second time, they are sheep (baaaa) but I DO get mad at the militia right
wing nuts who spoil things for the rest of us. I also don't have a problem
with guys who like to dress in camo, drink beer, and go shooting, but when
they called themselves "the country's last hope" and ranted on camera, I
cringed cause I knew what would happen......and it sure has, huh?
Our country's perception of normal has been skewed over the years since 1945,
and the media looks for the extremes, because they sell papers or airtime.
This is just another reason for us as a hobby (and individually) to
demonstrate intelligence and calm eloquence in public at all times, you NEVER
know who's watching.
I was at a party recently chatting with a bunch of wealthier than me folks (I
was the country cousin, sorta) and we were talking about restoring antique
vehicles and it was a lively and interesting conversation till I was asked
what I was working on currently.......nobody knew what a 1951 Dodge M37 was,
but man did the conversation die when I explained that I restored antique
military vehicles and that it was a mil truck that probably went to Korea. I
should have lied and told them that Elvis drove it in Germany.
As I get reacquainted with home, some of the reserve has gone down, as I
continue to drive it locally on every warm sunny day. The people at Giant
and Tractor supply are already used to it, and have FINALLY started smiling
and waving a little.
It has a lot to do with being close to a liberal population center. I'm glad
I had the experience in SC first, so I don't wonder if everybody's like that.
 They aren't.
My old green warhorse was a hit down there, especially out on the beach in
the summer, churning through the sand with all the canvas and the windshield
down.
The guys with the shiny new SUVs all sat and stared at my ugly old
convertible - ok, maybe they were staring at the cute redhead next to me.
If only I had taken a pic of her with surfboards and a couple of surf
stickers on the tail! (the truck, I mean....)
Mike in Virginia