Re: [MV] M38CDN project & script jeeps

From: COLIN STEVENS (colin@pacdat.net)
Date: Wed Dec 08 1999 - 11:11:30 PST

-----Original Message-----
From: Rej Sayak <rejan@escape.ca>
To: mil-veh@skylee.com <mil-veh@skylee.com>

>I have seen the term "script" vehicle used a few times, does that refer to
>manufacturer name stamped on the body (like "Willys" on the tailgate of
some
>trucks)? This truck has no manfacturer ID anywhere except on the dash data
>plates (Ford Motor Company).
****** On M38A1 jeeps made in 1967-68 and I think also the 1970-71
production (my notes are filed away) there is a second data plate on the
forward edge of the right (starboard) wheelwell. Tilt the passenger seat
forward to see it. No such data plate on M38CDN.

>(It does have Jeep stamped on the front side of the toolbox).
******* SCRIPT JEEPS (brief overview):

Willys MB - Has "WILLYS" in block 'stencil' style (i.e. gaps in letter
shapes) on left rear of body below where Jerrican carrier was later carried.
In use until after July 2nd 1942, but gone by Sept 1/42.

Ford GPW "script" - Has "Ford" in written script style in raised stamping on
left rear of body in same place as Willys 'script'. Gone by about Septemeber
1942 as well I believe.

Ford M38CDN 'script' - This has the word "Jeep" in script 'writing' in
raised stamping on the front of the tool box i.e. between the passenger's
feet (where no one will see it but you can easily feel it -- though don't
try this when a lady is sitting in the passenger seat or you'll likely be
injured.) Those script M38CDN jeeps seen so far appear to all be early
production in the spring of 1952. The tailgate is PLAIN in the middle on the
Military M38CDN jeeps.

CJ-2A script - These have WILLYS stamped in the sides of the hood and in the
centre of the windshield panel. Yes some were used by the military. JEEP
GOES TO WAR shows some in Israeli Army armed with German MG-34 machineguns
and Wireless Set No. 19. MAY have WILLYS script in centre of tailgate? I
don't know much about the civilian models.

M38A1 jeeps do NOT have the word JEEP 'script' in raised block letters on
the sides of the jeep by the driver's and front passenger's feet. CJ5 civie
jeeps do (easiest way I know to tell is a civy looking jeep driving by is
actually an ex-military M38A1 - since military fittings such as blackout
drive light are often removed. On flathood jeeps, I look for CJ-2A drainage
holes just above side steps. if I see those, I ignore it. if I don't I do a
fast U- turn and follow the jeep!

>What differences exist between an M38 engine and one out of a similar year
>CJ (asside from all the waterproofing and related plumbing)?
****** M38 engine is 24 volt. Has wiring shielded to suppress interference
for radios. . Has serial number beginning with "MC___" (Willys designation
for M38 jeep) or sometimes "RMC____" (which might mean replacement or
rebuilt?). A number of M38CDN jeeps have been seen with WWII jeep (MB or
GPW engine blocks) e.g. Michael DesMazes in Maple Ridge. He is looking for a
cheap but good M38/M38CDN block for his M38CDN which I found for him -
complete with all canvas and all original, with original markings and
original gas heater system in front of windshield on passenger's side.
Michael_Desmazes@bc.sympatico.ca

>Are there differences between an M38 and M38CDN engine?
***** None that I know of. Probably identical, all from same batch of MC
prefixed engines. Probably certain bath or batches were allocated for
Canadian Army use (including some spare engines).

>What year and model vehicles would parts (lights, switches, etc.)
>interchange with this truck?
***** Good question. My master parts manual M38CDN and the three versions of
the M38A1CDN was loaned to Mike Milne in BC years ago and was never
returned, nor was I ever compensated for it by him. I suspect that some
parts will be standard SMP (standard military pattern)( e.g. light switches)
but have never really looked. Some parts from 1950s production M37CDN,
M43CDN ambulance, M152CDN radio van, and M135CDN family (2-1/2 ton) MAY fit.
Also from US production M series vehicles of 1950s and 1960s. Check with
other collectors of these vehicles.

Colin Macgregor Stevens
MVPA Member 954 (since 1977)
& member B Coy 1 Canadian Parachute Battalion (Living History)
Pitt Meadows, British Columbia, Canada
E-mail: colin@pacdat.net
Personal web site: http://bcoy1cpb.pacdat.net
1944 Willys MB