RE: [MV] M38A1 Fuel Pump ???

From: Marks, Greg (gmarks@kpmg.com)
Date: Wed Dec 08 1999 - 05:53:10 PST

I got a kit from Surplus City for something in the neighborhood of $50 and
at the time I think they were selling rebuilds for $140. Between the
exploded view of the carb in Ord 9, and just being careful in the
disassembly/assembly, it was fairly do-able. My engine hadn't run in 20
years but the diaphragms were solid. I probably wouldn't have rebuilt it if
I had known the condition of the diaphragms. The only things that threw me
was the pump/cam arm and how you install the diaphrams. Once it was
assembled, I couldn't figure out how it was actuating the diaphragms because
it is articulated and the piece that rides on the cam can float quite a bit
with out actually pumping the diaphragms. Turns out I wasn't pushing hard
enough. When I REALLY got on it, I could cause the diaphragms to actuate.

The diaphrams interlock via two copper colored stems about an inch long and
it took a few minutes of looking at how they interlocked before I was able
to get them connected. As I remember I had to push these shafts through the
opposite ends of the pump body , feel when they were touching and then
turned one of the diaphragm a quarter turn to make them hook together,
resulting in a kind of "push/pull" kind of setup.

It also seems that there are two kits, one for the pump that has the sight
glass and one for the pump that doesn't have the sight glass. Mine doesn't
have the sight glass and that kit was easy to find.

Fuel pump side and vacuum side works well - post rebuild, with no leaks.

Good luck,

Greg
'53 M38A1

is unauthorized.