[MV] trailer air brakes

From: Damon Gentile (damonfg@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Dec 08 1999 - 17:53:25 PST

Howdy all!

I've got a question about how mil airbrakes work.

I have a pair of 1963 M332 1+1/2 ton ammo trailers.

I figured that you would need air pressure on the
emergency line to disengage the e(parking?) brake.
Also, applying pressure to the service line would
apply the brakes.

Is this correct? It sure doesn't work this way,
but I could have two trailers that were "modified"
although they came from DRMO (I literally pulled
them out of Uncle's boneyard!)

Behind my 3200 pound jeep (with trailer air)
applying pressure to either side didn't have any
noticeable effect. After I closed the drain on the
trailer's air tank (doh!) it held pressure.

...The reson I ask is the trailer and Jeep are
loaded and I'm rolling out of here in 9+1/2
hours to the DRMO to fire up my M54! Ideally
I'd pull the 4000 pounds of trailer behind the 5-ton
but I wanted to get a grasp of how the brakes work.
Else I'll just take all the stuff out of the trailer
and throw it in the bed of the M54.

Thanks much,
you guys are great!

-Damon (wish me luck!!)