Re: [MV] Kubelwagon

From: Steve L Dussetschleger (dussetschleger@juno.com)
Date: Thu Dec 09 1999 - 05:48:58 PST

On Thu, 09 Dec 1999 06:56:39 -0800 "Jan R. Smith/Patricia A. Trooien"
<smittro@wichita.infi.net> writes:
>I too would find any info on the replica Kubelwagon very interesting.
>Volkswagon is still producing the Beetle in Mexico.

***** Was down in Baja 2 years ago & was told that was the last year
they were going to produce it. Still costs too much for the average
Mexican family to own. Could buy a new one for about $5K

 I wonder if they
>still produce the Thing.

*** No, seems they had been out of production for a few years. They
referred to it as the "safari".

  I looked into possible export of a new
>Beetle
>which can be purchased in Mexico for under $6K, but it proved too
>difficult to get it out of Mexico; no safety glass, no 15MPH bumper,
>no
>EPA approval. Anyone know how you can get around these problems?

***** Possible solution I came to was, find someone who lives down there.
 Strike a deal topay them a little "rent" so you can use their address to
register it there. Get a Mexican Drivers license (can't be that tough,
have you ever seen them drive there ?), and just register it there &
drive it there. Go back every once in a while to say you really are a
"part-time" resident there. Have the person send you your registeration
renewal & keep it updated. Don't know about the insurance.
  Apollogies for almost completely off topic. Steve

>Thanks, Jan
>

>===

  1953 M38A1 1/4 ton Jeep 1977 M882 5/4 ton
Truck
  1962 M37B1 3/4 ton Truck
  1968 M274A5 1/2 ton Utility, "mule"
  1968 M109A3 2 1/2 ton Shop Van