[MV] Kubelwagon/Type 181

From: DerykWalker@cs.com
Date: Thu Dec 09 1999 - 08:23:55 PST

As a Thing owner, (now up for sale as I have a 1944 WC-56 and I need the room
in my garage), I can give you some information on this form of VW. The Thing
was only imported into the US from Mexico for 2 years, 1973 and 1974, and was
dropped from VW of America's inventory due to the machinations of Ralph
Nader, (Unsafe at Any Speed), who decided he could tell the rest of us what
we have to do. The fact that the Thing was more expensive than the
contemporary Jeep also hastened its demise from the US market. However, today
there is a very active group of Thing owners with Clubs throughout the
country. The ILTIS has no relationship to the Type 181 and is a completely
different vehicle. The Type 181 was adopted by the German Army as an interim
vehicle before they received the Iltis. There is a guy in Houston who imports
ex-Bundeswehr Type 181 and they make an interesting and unusual MV. I can dig
out his e-mail address if anyone is interested.

A Kubelwagon kit is made, I believe, by KoobelCar in New Mexico. It is based
on the Beetle. You can find them on the Web, (usual disclaimers and caveat
emptor apply). BTW for Parades with Military Youth Groups, I have camo'd my
Thing with poster paint, both in Desert and Woodland. It looks great
especially with the addition of cammo netting in strategic places. Unless you
want a Kubelwagon specifically, the Thing is less expensive and can pass for
one on a good day, plus it can make for usuable daily or fun transport Some
owners have retrofitted their Things with motorcycle fenders and WWII German
camo. The Thing Shop in Mesa, AZ, sells a kit to mount the spare wheel on
the hood the same as the Kubel.

For more information, there is a Thing List, similar to the Mil-Veh list. If
you are interested I can e-mail you the address. If you need any more
information, I would be happy to help.

Regards,

Deryk Walker
1944 Dodge Command Car