Re: [MV] Re:Workers sez Willeez

From: Todd Paisley (paisley@erols.com)
Date: Thu Dec 09 1999 - 10:56:32 PST

I think Gil summed it up the best: "The jeep I own was made by a company
founded by John North Willys. He pronounced his name "Willis"." I can't
think of a better example than this. It was his company. We are not
talking about names of everyday items such as a "tomato". These are proper
names. Jeez. I feel like I'm arguing whether or not the sun comes up each
day...

>Now, Todd makes a good point about the movies he has. You would
> think that they would pronounce it correctly (assuming that the films were
> made by Willys and not an outside company).

Not only do I have movies that pronounce it "Willis", I have copies of radio
commercials and early TV commercials that say this as well. Any other
pronunciation is just slang. Call it what you want, the name is pronounced
"Willis".

Todd Paisley