Re: [MV] Willys, from a linguistic standpoint

From: Jason E. Rose (m151a1@micron.net)
Date: Fri Dec 10 1999 - 07:04:27 PST

> Polling or voting does not mean a thing. It doesn't matter if 99 out of
100
> people think something should be one way over the other. There is only
one
> truth. And in this case it is rather easy and simple to determine how the
> company name was pronounced. There exist quite a few films and
> advertisements that show beyond the shadow of a doubt that they pronounced
> it "Willis". I can't think of a better type of evidence. If you want to
> ignore that evidence, then I feel sorry for you...
>
> > Does that mean they are stupid?
>
> No. It means they are either misinformed or would rather use the slang
> term. There is nothing wrong with using the slang term.

You know, if people sustitute this discussion about "Willys" for discussion
about whether or not the millenium ends December 31, 1999, or if it ends
December 31, 2000, you will still find people who adamantly argue one way or
another.

Just as Todd says, "there is only one truth."

> > Does that mean they are stupid?

> No. It means they are either misinformed or would rather use the slang
> term.
Or in the case of the millenium, they are also misinformed, or do not know
the basis for the creation of the Gregorian calendar which we all use today.

Regardless, we can go round and round, but most people will not budge. I
think both sides here will agree that their voices have been heard. Those
of us who have stayed out of this can make up our own minds.

Thanks

Jason