[MV] Getting a Ferret title

From: jim gilmore (jgilmore@oeonline.com)
Date: Sat Dec 11 1999 - 15:33:04 PST

        Having just obtained a title for a MK-2 Ferret last week I thought
I would give the Ferret owners a bit of info on how to go about it (at
least here in Michigan).

   In the State of Michigan, if the vehicle has never been titled you have
to have a police inspection. You get a form from the DMV (Secretary of
State) that will list all the items that the vehicle will have to have.
Note that if the vehicle is a "antique" (over 25 years old) it only
requires the equipment that was needed in that time period, ie. one
taillight on the left side etc. Now, with most Ferrets you already have
most of the items you need, turn signals headlights etc. I had to make a
windshield washer setup for this Ferret using one from a M-151-A2. Make
sure all the things work before you have the police inspection done!

     The most important thing in this process is what to call it. DON'T
put down "Ferret armored car" or "tank"!

  This just makes problems when you go back to the DMV as there will be no
computer listing for this type of vehicle. Don't lie about what it is,
that's illegal. A Ferret is really a Daimler . For the one I did last
week I listed it as; Make...Daimler, Year.......1960, Model.....701,
Body style......utility.

   This information is all correct and quite harmless looking on paper.
Also, ALL DMV 's know the serial numbers for most vehicles made in the
last 20 years or so. When I titled my first Military HUMMER back in 1989
the computer would not accept it as a 1984 AMC (or AMG) two door, or
convertible or four door or even pick up truck because the SN# (PRD-351)
did not match what the computer knew was for those body types. However,
there is a "black hole" in the computer's program that will accept these
types of SN#. That is a body style of "utility". This is what many CJ
Jeeps are listed as anyway.
              It will also be helpful to have any books you may have on the
vehicle so you can show the inspection officer who manufactured it, as a
Ferret does not have "Daimler" anywhere on it. A copy of the Motor Vehicle
Code for your state is also handy to have as well and usually can be bought
from the DMV or Secretary of State's office.

   Ok, so now I had the police come over to inspect the vehicle. The
officer's first reaction to seeing a bright yellow and black camo painted
armored vehicle sitting in the street was to laugh. (this was the radio
station's Ferret, the "WKRK FM 97.1 Talk Tank") "Not quite what I
expected" he said as he got out of the car.
   I then showed him where the VIN# was inside. He checked it out while
telling me how he would like to borrow it and take it over to the south
(very bad) side of town. "Freak out and run down the gang bangers" he
said! Oh yea, DON'T forget to take out the machine gun (real or dummy)
BEFORE the inspection. Saves you from explaining and makes the car look
"more gentle".
   After checking out the VIN he climbed out and we made some small talk
about guns and stuff (I'm a licensed firearms dealer). He then took the
clipboard with the form on it, said "looks like you got all the stuff on
it" , and proceeded to check off all the little boxes. Cool.....that was
easy. Actually, after all the work it took to put in those windshield
washers, I did want to impress him with them! The only thing he asked me
about was, where were the bumpers? Integrated with the body said I, like
the new cars. That satisfied him and he handed me back the completed form.

      We took the form down to the DMV with a statement of how it was
acquired (bought it from a guy in Ohio) a receipt, weight slip, proof of
insurance and Volia! We had a title and plates.

Same thing would apply if your titling, for example, a M-8 armored car.
Make.....Ford Year....194? Model.....GAK Body style.....utility .
Simple and not at all intimidating.

  I know other states will have different requirements but
remember........the most important thing is not to draw anymore attention
than you have to and make it as simple as you can for the nice ladies at
the DMV. (They call me "Mr. Hummer" there, and nothing I bring them to
title now fazes them anymore!)

  If you live in Michigan and need help to title your MV, feel free to
contact me off list.

BTW.......If your Ferret is Canadian......you pronounce it "Ferret, eh?"

           Jim Gilmore MVPA # 5843

Member Ist Michigan AOD Chapter MVPA
               Great Lakes Chapter MVPA
               Ohio Motor Pool Chapter MVPA