[MV] Cost of new floor in MB???

From: F. Brian Mead (brian@hardscrabblefarm.com)
Date: Tue Dec 14 1999 - 10:16:38 PST

Howdy,
    Hmmm, After looking at my jeep tub and determining the condition of it, I
have a question for all the guys out there who've replaced or rebuilt a MB/GPW
tub. I'm trying to determine whether I should replace or restore. My 1944 MB
is already jeepsoup due to various reasons, so I don't mind repro, as long as
it it correct. I don't ever intend to compete for authenticity, but I will
probably show the vehicle in "combat condition". (letting the better
restorations shine in their glory while letting mine show the abuse of combat)
    Now for the condition. I'll need to replace the entire floor(front &
rear), the running boards, the side just under the passenger door is fairly
thin from previous rust(currently no rust, just thin), and patch holes in the
dash & driver's side from previous accessories. Also, a previous owner had
already replaced the back panel with a repro part, replaced at least one
toolbox with repro, and replaced rear corner panels with "new" original panels
so the tub has already been mucked with a fair bit.
    I'm not a welder or sheetmetal worker, so I'd probably have to sub that
work out if I decide to restore it. I can blast/prime/paint the repaired tub
or a new one.
    Could anyone reply with their cost estimates from getting their tub
restored. I can basically estimate the cost of a new tub & paint/prime. Being
that I'm not going to show this vehicle for competition, I don't want to sink
HUGE amounts of money on labor costs into the tub if it's not going to make a
big difference in the final outcome (I personally don't think my tub can really
be considered original anymore anyway).

Thanks,
Brian Mead
1944 MB