Re: [MV] M1009 (blazer) rear diff. noise

From: Joe Foley (redmenaced@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Dec 15 1999 - 07:22:41 PST

Brian,

If you've already got the cover off you can check the
wear on the gears. The pitting is from long term
sitting with that part of the gears out of the oil.
The other thing that happened while sitting is that
the condensation in the gear case contaminated the
oil, making it very black, thick, and smelly. Now
you've had rust particles and bad oil circulating in
the bearings and gears. If this is a locking
differential you may have burned clutch packs, too.

I'd take it to a good differential mechanic and see
what he says, gear sets are about $600 bearings are
about $70 each, so its worth it to get it done right.

Wanna take a guess how I know the prices?

Joe

--- "F. Brian Mead" <brian@hardscrabblefarm.com>