Re: [MV] M1009 (blazer) rear diff. noise

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Wed Dec 15 1999 - 20:47:53 PST

>> problem that will smooth out or should I go ahead & replace the ring gear?
>
>No, i would replace it at once,

Hold on. I have ring and pinion gears that are heavily pitted and they do
not make any noticable noise, I also have one pickup where the axle was run
horribly out of alignment ( as in alignment of the R&P) such that the
pinion wore a new facet on the ring gear teeth tips. I reset this gear set
in a pinch and I am still driving it with no noticable noise. I would start
with bearings. They are much cheaper and easier to deal with. Given
experiances that I have had I do not see that big a problem with gears that
are not perfect. I know the manuals get rather exacting, and I do follow
those proceedures but it seems like as long as you have preload on the
pinion and carrier bearings, and a reasonable backlash and contact pattern,
things will run along just fine.

What axle does an M1009 have under it anyway? I would assume one of the
corporate GM axles.

je