[MV] Hello List - My Introduction

From: Travis R. Lindsey (tlindsey@Central.UH.EDU)
Date: Wed Dec 15 1999 - 10:51:17 PST

Hello List,

I am new to the world of Military Vehicles, Pinzgauer's, and Unimog's. A
few weeks ago I was camping at Lake Somerville in Texas. At a campsite down
the shoreline from mine was this monster of a machine with the cab done up
in
bright red. It had no bed on it, stood about 2.5 ft. off of the ground, had
what appeared to be a snorkel, and looked like it could drive any where. I
fell in love - It was a Unimog (what appeared to be a 404). So now I am
looking for info. on American Deuce-and-a-half's, Unimogs, Pinzgauers, and
similar vehicles - I may also consider the CUCV's. I am currently looking
for info to help me weigh the pro's & con's of these vehicles to determine
which I will pursue as a weekend at the ranch or deer lease, pulling the
boat or camper, & driving off-road and in the mud vehicle. From what I have
found so far, it seems as though: the Mogs are a little too slow on the
highway and pricey (though
not as much as the Pinzs); the Pinzs are Pricey; and the Deuces are a little
too big (I'm not sure about their highway speeds?) It may end up that none
of these are practical (who am I kidding - I know that none of these are
practical no matter what - a better word is "do-able") and I may end up
getting a used civilian 4x4 pick-up, but I would really like to get a
military vehicle some sort.

I live in Houston, TX and have a semester left before finishing law school.
My wife isn't too keen on the idea of me having a 4X4 as a daily driver so I
have agreed to get a 2wd SUV as a daily driver and eventually (no sooner
than a year but within 3-5 years) a 4X4 (or 6X6) just as a weekend vehicle.

Travis