[MV] Correct fuel filters for 2.5-ton multifuel?

From: mblair1@home.net
Date: Thu Dec 16 1999 - 08:12:57 PST

[I posted this message to the list a couple weeks or so ago, but have
not yet found the answers I'm looking for. So, I'll try one more
time...]

I just ordered replacement engine fuel filter kits for my M109A3
2.5-ton 6x6 multifuel shop van from Memphis Equipment, for all three
engine fuel filters (primary filter on the frame, and secondary and
final filters on the engine). I believe that both types of kits I
received were incorrect replacements, and I'd like to know what y'all
think.

I have added some pictures of various filters to my M44-series parts
cross-reference page, which might be helpful in this discussion:

  http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/greentruck/m44xref/m44xref.html#pictures

First of all, the primary fuel filter replacement I received has a
single 1" diameter hole in each end cap, while the filter that was in
my truck (which was straight out of the DRMO yard) had eight small
holes surrounded by a small central hole. I believe that the single
large hole in the replacement filter may prevent it from being
centered properly in the filter body, while the small hole in the
original filter would keep it aligned around the rod in the center of
the filter body. If it's not centered properly, I think that
unfiltered fuel will be able to bypass the filter at the bottom. Also,
the seals and washers supplied with the replacement kit were too small
to fit in the filter body, which further convinces me that the
replacement filter kit is incorrect.

By the way, I found that my primary filter body was not assembled
properly (the bottom cup was installed upside-down), thus allowing
unfiltered fuel to bypass the filter. Check your fuel filters against
the manual to make sure they're assembled properly! On the bright
side, my primary filter was nice and clean, so I just rinsed it out in
mineral spirits and reinstalled it since I didn't have a correct
replacement!

The secondary/final filters I removed from my truck had the correct
military part number stamped on them, so I believe that they are
correct. The replacements differed from them in one key way: their end
gaskets were mounted by a rolled metal flange in the middle, rather
than around their outer edges. Thus, the bottom cup would bear against
the aluminum filter element body with the replacement filter, and the
gasket would do nothing. With the correct filter, the bottom cup would
bear against the rubber gasket, thus preventing fuel from bypassing
the filter. In addition, all of the seals and gaskets which came with
the kit were incorrect (Memphis supplied correct gaskets for the
filter body can separately), thus further convincing me that the
supplied replacement kits are incorrect. My secondary/final filters
weren't as clean as I'd like, but I rinsed and reinstalled them anyway
because I think they're clean enough to last a couple more months
until I find correct replacements. The filters supplied by Memphis
were marked as Wix 33512 filters.

Memphis told me that I could return the filters for a refund (they've
always been helpful, and will continue to get my business). However,
despite the fact that they claim they've supplied the same filters for
over 50 years, I believe that these replacement filters are not
correct for the truck. They can certainly be installed in the filter
bodies, and the engine will run afterwards, but I believe that they
may allow some unfiltered fuel to make it into the injection pump,
thus wearing the engine out faster. This is one case where I don't
think that "seems to work" is good enough!

Can any of you "experts" comment on this?

By the way, I also ordered oil filters, but didn't get around to
removing my truck's oil filters this weekend, so I do not know if they
are correct or just close. They are marked as Wix 51133 filters, and
have end gaskets mounted just like the secondary/final fuel filters I
received. Since I haven't opened and examined my oil filter bodies
yet, I don't know if they would have the same problem as the fuel
filters. Any comments from the experts?

--
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://pgp.ai.mit.edu/
Web page: http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/