Re: [MV] fuel pump for M35

From: mblair1@home.net
Date: Fri Dec 17 1999 - 20:32:35 PST

whendon@herc.com wrote:
> My 66 M35 multifuel fuel pump quit pumping. The other accessories work on
> the switch so I don't think that it is the switch. I changed the small
> fuse on the fuel pump but still no pumping. Anyone run into that problem
> before? Any suggestions what to check next?

Do I assume correctly that you mean the in-tank pump? I would use a
voltmeter to see if the pump is getting power. There's a rubber 2-pin
plug, which is on the side of the pump facing the rear of the truck if
I remember correctly, which supplies power to the pump. Wire #654 is
the +24V supply, and wire #79 is ground. When you unplug it, be
careful to avoid tearing the rubber boot off the pump -- that happened
to me on a couple of my senders on which the boots were a bit cracked,
and I had to carefully glue the boots back in place with silicone
sealant to keep them relatively waterproof. If battery voltage is
present on the pin connected to wire #654, and there is continuity
(that is, well under 1 ohm resistance) between wire #79 and the
truck's frame, then I'd say that either the fuse is blown or the pump
is bad. Otherwise, the problem is probably somewhere in the wiring
harness, switch or connectors, and you'll need to troubleshoot it
further.

It's difficult to diagnose wiring problems because the wiring system
is all sealed; please do not take the "easy" way and cut into the
insulation anywhere to test things! That was done to my truck while it
was in military service (I got mine straight from DRMO), and it ruins
the watertight qualities of the harness. I've re-sealed everything
I've found the best I can, but I'll probably still try to replace the
harness in a couple years or so due to general deterioration.

If you don't already have a wiring diagram, you can get one from my
web page at:

    http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/greentruck/m44wiring/toc.html

The diagrams there are from TM 9-2320-209-20-2-2. I like the diagrams
from TM 9-2320-361-20 better, but I haven't gotten around to scanning
them yet.

Good luck!

--
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://pgp.ai.mit.edu/