Re: [MV] 194(?) Chevy 1.5 ton

From: Jeanne Lacourse (cckw@mediaone.net)
Date: Tue Dec 21 1999 - 04:43:15 PST

For some reason, WW11 Checies seem to have a low value. They are a nice
truck, handle well and use many of the same parts (that you need to buy NOS)
as the GMC CCKW. They are a nice driver, get relatively good gas mileage
(10) and look like a big truck but are quite easy to drive.

Depending upon what you have to work with, you could spend from $500 to
$5000 or more. Because of their lower resale value, you should decide who
will own this vehicle: You forever or you to sell. If you put a lot of $$
into it, you will never get it back unless you keep it for many many years.

Front axle: Great design, keep it into oil and you will never have to
rebuild it.
                        Knuckle seals are the same as a CCKW or M211/M135
GMC
                        Do one side per year otherwise you will not be able
to steer it.
                        Replace both upper and lower trunion bearings when
you have it apart.
                        All bearings are commonly available though WB's cost
~$100/side

Hydrovac: Go to a truck brake parts supplier with the original. They
will fix you up.
                        If you do not carry anything, you can do w/o the
booster. The early "Y" models did not
have a booster.
                        I have worn out one set of front shoes in ~30,000
miles on my CCKW. Oil is the problem leaking
from the WB seals.

Tranny: Same as civy one except for the 1st gear ratio on the
later "N" models.

Xfer: Unique to Chevy. A very few parts cross over into the
CCKW

Steve
AKA Dr Deuce (and Chevy too)