[MV] 194(?) Chevy 1.5 ton

From: David Duckett (SUPERDAVE900@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Mon Dec 20 1999 - 23:33:40 PST

Hi list,
I have a few more questions regarding a truck that I recently purchased. The
vehicle in question is a
194(?) (title says 1946) Chevy 1-1/2 ton truck. Are these trucks fairly
common? Fairly uncommon? Somewhere in between? What might I expect to spend
on a restoration? What would the value of such a restored truck be?
(generally speaking, of course) I'm not shooting for a 100 point, full
blown resto, but I would like to get it to a nice, original, 'driver'
condition. The motor seems to run very well, without any smoking or strange
noises. I have driven it around in 1st and reverse and it seems to drive
ok, with the exception that the brakes have went home to never-never land.
The transfer case seems to shift smoothly and work in both ranges and the
front axle shifts in and out o.k. What kind of problems can I expect from
this rig? I'm not too concerned about the motor, transmission, or
trans-case, but that front axle assy. looks relatively involved. Are seals,
bearings etc. still available for the steering knuckle assy.? My hydro-vac
unit was apparently mistaken for food by some goats at some point, are
rebuild kits available for these? What about brake shoes/cylinders, etc?
What about the clutch/pressure plate? I have seen almost no discussion of
these trucks on the list, so any pearls of wisdom, thoughtful comments, or
even good old B.S. on this subject would be deeply appreciated. Are there
any MV get togethers, shows, etc. within 400-500 miles of the Texas
panhandle? I would really like to go to some shows and look at some old MV'
s, but it seems like most of the shows I have seen dates for were on the
east coast or the west coast. I apologize for writing a novel here, but its
like the blind leading the blind down here. I have pointed questions at my
hot rod buddies that have all restored old cars and trucks, and all I get
are blank stares and questions like "what the heck are ya gonna do with it
after ya restore it?" I have also been informed by the aforementioned
personnel that it will be a money pit of biblical proportions, so if ya's
got info to the contrary, I'd sure like to know before I get in over my
head. I'll put the address to my lame attempt at a home page down here in
the hopes that (a. someone will be bored enough to look at the pictures of
the truck and get an idea of what I'm talking about here, and (b. that I
will have posted the pic's correctly and you will actually be able to see
them. :-)

Thanks a bunch,
Dave
1981 CJ-5, and, 1- slightly used but hopeful 194? Chevy truck :-)

http://home.att.net/~superdave900
or possibly
http://home.att.net~superdave900/index.html