[MV] Virus situation (Was Re: [MV] Got heater, need winch.)

From: Mil-Veh List Admin (postmaster@uller.skylee.com)
Date: Thu Dec 23 1999 - 22:01:28 PST

On Thu, 23 Dec 1999 16:47:43 -0800
 "Henry" <henrya@jps.net> wrote:
> Who sent this?
> Henry
>
> ----------
> From: mil-veh@skylee.com
> To: henrya@jps.net
> Subject: [MV] Got heater, need winch.
> Date: Thursday, December 23, 1999 2:59 PM
>
> he, your lame client cant read HTML, haha.
> click attachment to see some stunningly HOT stuff

Henry appears to have received a message sent from
W32.NewApt.Worm. This e-mail worm has its own SMTP mail
software, and I suspect that it used the mil-veh@skylee.com
address and that Subject as a disguise when propagating
itself. I have checked that thread and others and I have not
found any virus or worm attachments sent via the list.
Furthermore, the list software filters every message that
contains attachments or HTML or alternative parts and
automatically bounces it back to the poster. Only plain text
messages can be posted to the list, which minimizes the
chance of you getting worms and viruses via mil-veh.

Although I do try to filter for specific worms and viruses
and have always prevented attachments from being posted,
these are no guarantees against a virus actually being
propagated via the list. I urge you all to buy and update
anti-virus software (Norton, MacAfee, and DataFellows all
have good packages). That is the only way to truly protect
yourself from these electronic pests.

I will post more as I learn it. To learn more about
W32.NewApt.Worm, see http://www.sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/worm.newapt.html.

--Arthur

To unsubscribe, send e-mail to: <mil-veh-off@uller.skylee.com>
To switch to the DIGEST mode, send e-mail to <mil-veh-digest@uller.skylee.com>