Re: [MV] NO OFF-TOPIC POSTINGS (was Re: Seasons Greetings!!)

From: Mil-Veh List Admin (postmaster@uller.skylee.com)
Date: Sat Dec 25 1999 - 00:52:38 PST

On Sat, 25 Dec 1999 00:06:37 -0800
 "Ian Wallace" <iwallace@uswest.net> wrote:

> The majority of the members of this list are veterans of
> military service. Many saw combat, and as such
> sacrificed much for their country. I believe
> that this list has as members some of the most
> patriotic and God fearing persons on earth.

All those things may be true, but mil-veh isn't a veteran's
list, nor a military service list, nor a combat list, nor a
patriot list.

Here is what I have to say about about off-topic postings:
http://www.skylee.com/archives/mil-veh/99-09/0002.html

Here's the short form:
http://www.skylee.com/archives/mil-veh/99-05/0703.html

> With said, I believe that the occasional wish for good
> health and other "non
> military vehicle topics" do not detract from the stated
> purpose of the list,
> in fact they strongly support it.

I have said this before, but apparently I must say it again.
If you absolutely, positively MUST comment on something
off-topic, do so as part of your "signature" at the bottom
of an *on-topic* posting. For an example, see mine at the
bottom of this message.

Here's another example:
http://www.skylee.com/archives/mil-veh/99-04/0782.html

> I openly encourage the exchange of
> ideas and the
> occasional greetings of the type you find offensive are
> accepted and
> exchanged by the users.

I didn't say that I found it offensive. I said that it was
off-topic. And you are of course free to run your lists as
you see fit.

> Certainly the MV list could be cluttered with hundreds of
> "forbidden"
> topics,

I simply won't allow this to happen.

> Should someone feel that it's a nuisance, that's what the
> "delete" key is
> for.

No, it isn't. The purpose of this list is clear, and I have
operated it successfully for a number of years as a
targeted, informative, reliable source of information and
support for ordinary people who own military vehicles. I
wish to keep it so.

> There are any number of other inane topics that spring up
> and their thread
> continues for days - remember the "Willys" discussions?

What you find inane, another finds interesting. The topic of
this list is the private ownership of military vehicles.
Anything within that topic is fair game. Anything out of it
is not.

> Many made extreme sacrifices in doing so. I would hope
> that they have the
> right to express a simple statement of hope to the rest
> of us.

You and others may feel free to do so in your signature, and
if you wish to see an example, see below. But mil-veh isn't
a place for off-topic chit-chat. And I have discussed the
topic of the "right" of free speech in a private venue
before.

Let's keep mil-veh about military vehicles.

--Arthur Kyle Mil-Veh List Admin
  Satan Freeman says check it out:
  http://www.maximumpc.com/glitch/freeman.html

To unsubscribe, send e-mail to: <mil-veh-off@uller.skylee.com>