Re: [MV] M998 HMMWV accelerator problem

From: James Shanks (n1vbn@bit-net.com)
Date: Wed Dec 29 1999 - 18:19:16 PST

>Hey, gang. I seem to have a problem with the accelerator and/or
>injection pump on my new 1986 M998 military HMMWV with the 6.2 liter
>diesel engine. The idle speed regulation is pretty poor; it'll idle
>slowly, then sometimes surge a little, or sometime surge a lot and
>then die. When I press the accelerator, there's a delay of a couple
>seconds before the engine begins to pick up, and then when I release
>it, there's a delay of a couple seconds before it slows back down.
>With the hood open and the engine access cover off, I can see the
>accelerator linkage on the injection pump, and it appears to be moving
>properly when I press and release the accelerator pedal. It does not
>seem to be sticking. Although the engine speed is difficult to
>control, the engine sounds good at whatever speed it decides to run
>at, and there's no smoke, so I figure that the injector timing and
>metering is more or less OK, but that the fuel rate control is not
>working quite right.

    Yup!! It sounds like you have air bubbles in the fuel. This is caused by
improper fitting fuel filters .....loose fuel fittings and holy fuel lines
from the tank to the fuel pump mounted on the engine. It could also be
sucking air thru the vent hole on the fuel pump due to a bad diaphragm. I am
not sure as I have no knowledge of the Hummer if it has an electric fuel
pump in the tank but I do know the 6.2 engine. It has a mechanical fuel pump
mounted on the front right side of the engine same place as a gas engine.
Hope this leads you down the right path.

James Shanks
The Line Below is my Ham Radio Callsign
n1vbn@bit-net.com
The line below is my Ham Radio Packet Address
n1vbn@N1VBN @ WB1DSW.NH.USA.NOAM

To unsubscribe, send e-mail to: <mil-veh-off@uller.skylee.com>
To switch to the DIGEST mode, send e-mail to <mil-veh-digest@uller.skylee.com>
Send administrative queries to <mil-veh-request@uller.skylee.com>