[MV] M998 HMMWV accelerator problem

From: mblair1@home.net
Date: Tue Dec 28 1999 - 20:40:04 PST

[Note: I cross-posted this to both the Hummer mailing list and the
MIL-VEH list.]

Hey, gang. I seem to have a problem with the accelerator and/or
injection pump on my new 1986 M998 military HMMWV with the 6.2 liter
diesel engine. The idle speed regulation is pretty poor; it'll idle
slowly, then sometimes surge a little, or sometime surge a lot and
then die. When I press the accelerator, there's a delay of a couple
seconds before the engine begins to pick up, and then when I release
it, there's a delay of a couple seconds before it slows back down.
With the hood open and the engine access cover off, I can see the
accelerator linkage on the injection pump, and it appears to be moving
properly when I press and release the accelerator pedal. It does not
seem to be sticking. Although the engine speed is difficult to
control, the engine sounds good at whatever speed it decides to run
at, and there's no smoke, so I figure that the injector timing and
metering is more or less OK, but that the fuel rate control is not
working quite right.

I plan to start digging into the problem tomorrow. Has anybody seen
this behavior before? Is there anything in particular I should look
for? I'm hoping I can fix this myself and get the truck road-worthy so
that I can finish registration, without the trouble, expense and delay
of having the injection pump rebuilt...

By the way, since some folks have expressed interest in the
differences and samenesses between military and civilian HMMWVs: I did
an oil change today, and my truck appears to be happy with the same
oil filter as the earliest civilian Hummers with 6.2 liter diesel
engines. I used a Purolator PL34631 oil filter as suggested by the
cross-reference book at Pep Boys, and it appears to be a suitable
replacement. I know that the mil and civvy fuel filter elements are
different, and I may soon find out if the transmission filters are
interchangeable.

--
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://pgp.ai.mit.edu/
Web page: http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/