Re: [MV] Jeep on bottom of ocean 57 years.

From: COLIN STEVENS (colin@pacdat.net)
Date: Thu Dec 30 1999 - 08:50:20 PST

-----Original Message-----
From: Dan Bever <danbever@juno.com>
>If you want to see what a jeep looks like that has been on the bottom of
>the ocean for the past 57 years take a look at the April 1988 issue of
>National Geographic, check out page 464. There is a photo of a jeep that
>went down with the "President Coolidge" on 26 Oct. 1942. ...
=================
I brought this photo to the attention of MVPA members some years ago. In my
opinion, it shows two NOS (New old stock) WWII jeeps - STILL CRATED!

The location: Harbour of Espiritu Santo in the New Hebrides Islands (now
Vunuatu) about 135 feet below sea level. The 5,440 men on board were being
brought in, along with vehicles and equipment, for the fighting on
Guadalcanal. 43rd Inf Div mainly, and although 5,435 men were saved (only 5
died) they were not combat ready having lost their gear. Most serious loss
was ALL of the Atabrine to fight Malaria for the Guadalcanal invasion. By
the way, this was "friendly fire" - they hit two US mines. 'Treasures'
found on board included a Thompson M1A1 SMG with a cleaning rod sticking out
of the barrel!

Buyer beware - can you imagine the advertisement?
"New WWII jeeps, never uncrated, zero miles, original warime US tires with
no wear, complete. Original paint. Never in civilian hands. John Doe,
General Delivery, Luganville, Vunuatu. P.O.R. Tel. 11-123-456-7890" or if it
appeared on e-bay?

Why do I think they were crated? The wooden crates have rotted away but
clues regarding their being crated include:
1. Hood on upper jeep juts forward of grill by about 4 inches.
2. Two wheels are stowed in rear of nearest jeep, with rear seat folded up,
and with steering wheel neatly placed inside the upper wheel. Note that ALL
of the wheels are appear to be inside the jeep rather than on the axles.
3. Bows appear to be stowed sideways.
4. Photos showing US Forces uncrating jeeps in South Pacific as crating was
the most efficient way to ship them to a staging area.
These features match perfectly the photos showing jeeps being assembled in
the South Pacific in back issues of MVCC/IMVCC/MVPA "Army Motors".

I cannot explain the apparent bar fitted to the grill of the upper jeep,
just below the port (left) headlight.

If anyone goes diving on them:
1. Look for proof that they were still crated. These could be the LAST
original crated WWII jeeps in the world!
2. Look for the data plates and get the serial numbers and dates! My guess
is as they are stamped grill, went down Oct 26 1942 and don't seem to have
the BODL on the left fender, and are Army jeeps, not having the USMC (also
Canadian) lifting rings. I think the lower one is a Ford GPW as the tool
box lid looks like it MIGHT have raised ridge. I cannot see a front frame
cross-member and if there are any GPW type 'extra' holes in bumpers, they
are not visible. Steering wheel is 1942 full plastic model naturally. Summer
of 1942 production probably.

Photo was taken about 46 years after they sank, so deterioration since then
will be even greater by now. Pity.

Comments?

Colin Macgregor Stevens
MVPA Member 954 (since 1977)
& member B Coy 1 Canadian Parachute Battalion (Living History)
Pitt Meadows, British Columbia, Canada
E-mail: colin@pacdat.net
Personal web site: http://bcoy1cpb.pacdat.net
1944 Willys MB