Re: [MV] M998 HMMWV accelerator problem

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Sat Jan 01 2000 - 08:46:56 PST

>The engine still has bad speed regulation, idles way too fast (I
>think... I don't have a tach for the truck, but it sure sounds too
>fast), surges for no good reason, and doesn't respond to the
>accelerator properly. It doesn't always respond quickly to pressing
>the accelerator, and when I release the accelerator, the speed drops
>and then rises and falls a few times, before settling at the wrong
>speed. The idle speed setting could be off, but I didn't bother trying
>to adjust it because that wouldn't explain the rest of the engine's
>behavior.

You know.... every injection pump has a governor built in else a Diesel by
nature will NOT idle at all. Unlike a carbureted engine, a Diesel is an
unstable contol system at idle and hence some form of governing function is
required. Given your idle troubles and given the speed jumping around,
maybe something has come loose or failed in that section of the pump?????
If it was mine, I think it would be time to take the pump into a pump shop.
The bench fee just to look it over isn't that much, the bigger p-in-the-a is
taking it off.

One note about air in the system. I add a small piece of vinyl hose on the
fuel return out of the pump and/or the fuel inlet to the pump and watch for
a stream of bubbles. Everytime I have had a problem it has been a steel
line that corroded thru or a pin hole in the filter etc. But I was told by
the pump shop guy that they also see alot of shaft seals/bushings that wear
or fail and you will start sucking air in at that point. The clear hose
will allow you to start isolating the source, if any. But of course, many
will tell you that you must remove the clear hose, that it is unsafe or
whatever. I, however, have not removed it and after many years and kmiles
have not had a problem.

je