Re: [MV] Various questions - jeep resto

From: Jason E. Rose (m151a1@micron.net)
Date: Tue Jan 04 2000 - 08:30:41 PST

<1). Please advise on paint. Gillespie or Aervoe? I understand that enamel
<was used on original jeeps. I am hoping for something that doesn't need
alot
<of SPECIALIZED treatment/prep/primer. I am hoping that I can clean/prep
the
<surface, apply a reasonably priced and quality primer, allow to dry, fix
any
<bad spots and begin applying a color coat that did not need excessive
mixing
<and additional additives such as thickeners, thinners, hardeners,
softeners,
<dulling agents, glossing agents, etc. Is it possible to simply apply the
<paint directly from that can with only a small amount of thinner to allow
it
<to flow well? How many gallons for a primered jeep and frame? I'm thinking
<minimum of two gallons and a case of spray cans. Too much?

Well, here we go again. This is the same argument as Ford vs Chevy and now
Shell vs. Delo. Everyone here will have an opinion. Some people have
opinions based on hearsay. Others have opinions based on experience. The
most important thing here is the prep work. A sandblasted jeep with
self-etching primer should require no more than one gallon. I have used
both Aervoe and Gillespie. From MY EXPERIENCE, I would say the Aervoe looks
better when it is new. However, if your jeep is outside for any extended
periods, I know from experience Gillespie holds up better. Aervoe tends to
turn white from oxidation. Another "gripe" about Aervoe is I have bought
rattle cans and gallons, and I have not had one spray can match the color in
the gallon can. Gillespie rattle cans and gallons are the same paint, and
they match very well. I recommend Gillespie.

Good luck on your project. Hopefully you will have some pictures in the
future to share with us.

Jason