Re: [MV] First Oil change...

From: James Shanks (n1vbn@bit-net.com)
Date: Tue Jan 04 2000 - 18:38:45 PST

-----Original Message-----
From: Jason E. Rose <m151a1@micron.net>
To: Military Vehicles List <mil-veh@uller.skylee.com>
Date: Tuesday, January 04, 2000 9:21 AM
Subject: Re: [MV] First Oil change...

>*This message was transferred with a trial version of CommuniGate(tm) Pro*
>Julian,
>
>I question your all-inclusive statement regarding Shell as the "ONLY" oil
>truckers use. I would point out it might depend what part of the country
>you live in. In the western US, if you are not using Chevron Delo 15w-40,
>you do not care about your truck. Shell oil is very uncommon out here. Do
>you have Chevron Delo out there?
>
>Jason
>
>> Yes, While many oils will work just fine, Shell Rotella T is the ONLY
>oil
>> truckers use and many will not accept their new truck until it has been
>> filled with such at the factory. If you question Shell Rotella, you know
>> absolutely little about oils. Many truckers can get 1,000,000 miles on
>> their engines before overhaul. It is one of the best for gasoline too.
>> This is my first choice for ANY engine; gas and diesel alike. 15-40 is
>> perfect for 95% of any climate. Julian

Julian,

        As a note of interest Detroit Diesel specifies Mobil Delavon 15-40
motor oil only if I remember correctly. If you use it exclusively they give
a much better warranty to wit it is REQUIRED for the warranty to stay in
effect. For a ex-Military multifuel engine any quality 15-40 motor oil and
most important CHECK YOUR FLUID LEVELS EACH TIME YOU TAKE EM OUT!!!! Last
but not least is stick the oil dipstick right under your nose and smell the
oil. Oil smell? If you smell fuel oil and notice your oil level in the
crankcase rising instead of lowering good chance you have a fuel leak
internally inside the engine. Ever watch a professional driver 1st thing in
the morning? Thump the tires looking for a low/flat tire, lift the hood so
you can clean the windshield /check the oil level/ check the power steering
resivoir and check the radiator. For those of you who have their first MV
congrats. It may seem a pain in the butt to do daily but every time you
gripe about it think how much you'd gripe changing the engine and spending
extra funds you shouldn't have to!!! Makes me whistle every time I check
under the hood.

        I drive a Mack 12 speed tranny/w a low hole, model 1993 vintage
triaxle hauling hotmix to the paver in
season and even though I don't own it I treat as if I do.

        I know of one MV owner who shall remain nameless who showed up at a
rally this past summer with steam coming out of the radiator, to his defense
it was parked 6 miles from the rally site. He hadn't driven it in three or
four months but hopped in it fired it up and down the road he went. He told
me what happened after the fact and I gave him hell for not checking under
the hood which if he had he would have found no coolant in the radiator due
to an open drain cock on the radiator. Fortunately the engine did not seem
the worse for wear. Last but not least carry a couple of Jerry cans of water
JUST IN CASE.

I will now fall off the fender.

James Shanks
The Line Below is my Ham Radio Callsign
n1vbn@bit-net.com
The line below is my Ham Radio Packet Address
n1vbn@N1VBN @ WB1DSW.NH.USA.NOAM