Re: [MV] ND 9.00 x20 tires

From: mblair1@home.net
Date: Wed Jan 05 2000 - 20:53:08 PST

"Todd Logan" <bugdaddy66@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Would like to get some spare tires for my M35, any leads? Western Montana,
> Northern Idaho or Eastern Washington would be close enough for me to pick
> up, but all leads appreciated.

If you don't find a local cache of cheap-but-serviceable tires, you
might try calling any nearby truck tire shops. There's a chain of
truck/industrial tire shops in my area (Pete's Road Service/Pete's
Industrial Tires, in Southern California) that happily works on
split-ring military rims, and they were able to replace one of my
9.00x20 NDT tires for about $220, including tire, tube and mounting. I
just brought the wheel with the bad tire on it in, and they ordered a
new tire and mounted it within a couple of days. They also patched
another one while I waited for about $16; the tire was in great
condition, but it had picked up a drywall screw on the way out of the
DRMO yard.

I found out when I picked it up that the tire I got is an import made
by Nankang. Once I've cosmetically restored my truck, I'll probably
specify US-made military tires only (and pay a bunch!), but
considering how butt-ugly my truck is now, I can live with one tire
that doesn't say "Made in USA" for a while. :-)

Maybe there are shops near you that can order and mount the tires you
need if you don't find a cheaper source...

--
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://pgp.ai.mit.edu/
Web page: http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/