RE: Was M35 air line, now: Why are air mattresses bad?

From: John Hutterer (john.hutterer@deltec.com)
Date: Thu Jan 06 2000 - 06:00:15 PST

Doug,

I can't speak for the entire U S Army, but the unit that I was with (205th
Support Battalion) supported the 205th Infantry Brigade. The Infantry
traveled light and had replaced their air mattresses with a ground pad. It
is a military issue high density foam pad, about 1/2" thick, that is placed
on the ground as a combination pad, insulator, and moisture barrier. They
can be rolled up into an approximately 8" diameter package and they only
weigh a few ounces. Also, they don't require any time to inflate, like an
air mattress. (And, of course, they can't accidentally deflate, either.) Our
Commander decided that, since we supported the Infantry, we should live like
the Infantry. No more air mattresses or folding cots in the field.

Since then, I have been involved with several other units. Some are much
more relaxed in their policies about what is allowed to be taken to the
field, and some are not. It really seems to be up to the discretion of the
Commander. As far as air mattresses are concerned, I would have to agree
with another posting that was made. They do tend to leak or get punctured
rather easily. Over the years, I had several different air mattresses issued
to me, and few of them held air for more than a few hours. Generally
speaking, they were more trouble than they were worth.

By the way, I received your reply to my posting four times. All indicated
that they had been sent at 3:29 PM so I am assuming that you didn't send
them repeatedly, thinking that you had neglected to hit the send key.
(Twice, maybe, but four times? I don't think so.) Arthur, is there something
wrong with the server?

John