Re: [MV] Hmmwv Speedometer

From: Jason E. Rose (m151a1@micron.net)
Date: Thu Jan 06 2000 - 07:57:33 PST

George

Maybe the other listers can correct me if I'm wrong, but military
speedometers contain a radioactive paint which allows the speedo to "shine"
at night. Under normal circumstances, it is not harmful because the glass
blocks the radioactive particles from leaving the confines of the speedo.
However, I have been warned by Army motorpool personnell about the dangers
of opening speedometers. If I were you, I wouldn't mess with it. I would
replace the new speedo with a new one. They are not that expensive and I'm
sure somebody on the list has an NOS one, or you may be able to find a
take-out close to your old mileage.

Good luck

Jason