Re: [MV] CUCV alternator light turning on when started

From: Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sat Jan 15 2000 - 16:31:02 PST

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill George <william.george4@gte.net>
To: Military Vehicles List <mil-veh@uller.skylee.com>
Date: 15 January 2000 16:02
Subject: Re: [MV] CUCV alternator light turning on when started

>Now I find this strange. The #2 alternator light has never worked in my
>M1009 and it has kept my batteries fully charged for more than a couple year
>now.

By whatever means there is some current flowing through the rotor winding at
rest however that is being achieved. You may have a faulty bulb, bulb holder or
a wiring fault that is providing excitation at rest. It may even have a bulb
by-pass resistor fitted for whatever reason, there will be some volts and
therefore current applied to the rotor though.

Richard
(Southampton UK)