Tank ownership questions.

From: Brian Koos (zantar429@home.com)
Date: Tue Feb 01 2000 - 13:14:41 PST

Hi guys, I am new to the list, and while most of the traffic here seems to
be about wheeled vehicles (very understandable, since they can be driven on
the road), I am curious if anybody could educate me as the the laws
regarding the purchasing and ownership of surplus tanks and other tracked
armored vehicles. I know that there is nothing "practical" about owning
one, but I have a thing for armor and if I were ever to somehow strike it
rich, one of the things I would like to do is have my very own tank to play
with. ;-)

Some specific questions I have are:

1. Are there a bunch of legal hoops you have to jump through?
2. Is it possible to get a tank with it's main armament intact, perhaps by
registering it as a Destructive Device with the ATF. (not a pleasant
prospect, but I am curious what the law is).
3. How modern of an AFV is it possible to get? I know that M1 MBT's will
probably never see the light of day as surplus, and would be astronomically
expensive even if they were to go on the market. Is it possible to get an
M-60? They don't have any fancy composite armor, so there is no danger of
me selling it to some country so they can examine it. I think I say
Cheiftan tanks for sale on one page. And those are relatively modern, aren't
they?

If nobody feels like answering these questions, could you point me to a good
source of information on the subject.

Thanks alot,

Brian