Re[2]: [MV] I went through red light in Jeep once "allegedly

From: James Burrill (jburrill@dttus.com)
Date: Mon Feb 07 2000 - 15:46:58 PST

     Safety is one of those magic flags that we all want to ralley around.
     Who *doesn't* want to promote safety in our hobby.

     But let's step back a moment.

     I think most on this list would agree on most safety rules, but I
     think we should be aware that one man's deffinition of a safety rule
     is overkill by another's deffinition.

     Back in 88 at a Rev War event at Monmouth, NJ, the British troops were
     told to fix bayonets for the march from behind the "play area" out
     into the field to march past the tourists in all our red-coated glory.

     But one man near me in the column, became agitated at this, his
     comments got louder (so I heard what he was upset about) and he
     finally stormed off the field in a huff. This was a man in his 40s who
     had appearantly came into the hobby via the NPS and it's rules. He had
     firmly embraced the "safety faith" of NPS that prohibited marching on
     the reenactment field with fixed bayonets. He was livid that the
     Commanders could so blatently ignore a fundamental safety rule and
     left the field rather than continue.

     The rest of us just looked at each other, marched off as directed,
     paraded in front of the public.....and then were told to unfix
     bayonets before the Continentals took the field.

     NPS and especially Parks Canada had some pretty strict rules on how
     often you could fire an artillery piece on their sites. I believe the
     forces at Ft. Louisberg in Canada were restricted to one shot every 30
     Minutes, to *GARUNTEE* that there were no live sparks in the tube. The
     accepted rate of fire in most ACW artillery units is once every three
     minutes, I believe.

     When I organized a napeoleonic reenactment in 97, I went to the
     artilley and cavalry commanders and asked for their rules on safety,
     rather than make un-informed rules. I also went to the infantry
     commanders with some issues and the results were a safe attack by the
     French cavalry against the British square That Had Fixed Bayonets!

     It was common practice in Europe and the cav commanders agreed with
     the Infantry that it was safer to have fixed bayonets around the
     horses....the horses being smart enough not to get too close to sharp,
     pointy things!

     I imagine the fellow from monmouth would have had a screaming fit if
     he saw it.

     So, my lads, what is my point?

     For all that we agree we must be safe, we need to be rational about
     what is safe and what isn't. And I would rather get the call from the
     vehicle club folks who are well versed in the safe operation of their
     vehicles.

     Cheers,
     Jim