Re: [MV] Here's a fun challenge for you. (Mule related)

From: Brett Phillips (bphillip@shentel.net)
Date: Fri Feb 11 2000 - 09:31:16 PST

I may be wrong, but I think most of the noise generated by the mule is from the
fan. Our (my dad owns half) mule sounds a bit like a hair dryer at anything above
an idle. The muffler may not be the quietest thing in the world, but it's certainly
quieter than the average lawn mower. The AO-42 engine has plenty of low speed
torque, so we tend to let it run at just above idle when we're trying to be quiet
(i.e. in the woods hunting). If anyone does find a way to make the fan quieter,
please post it here, as I would certainly be interested. Also, I noticed there was
discussion in the archives about installing a generator engine in a mule. Could
someone fill me in on the differences between these engines? What needs to be
changed?

Thanks
Brett Phillips