Re: [MV] WW2 Navy Gray Jeep

From: jim gilmore (jgilmore@oeonline.com)
Date: Sat Feb 12 2000 - 10:09:43 PST

Re: green or gray paint of navy jeeps.......

     I cannot comment on MB's but according to Ford records, all GPW's were
painted O.D. at the factory.
  The Navy, not the factory, painted them gray. You should note that
contrary to popular belief not all navy jeeps were painted gray. There are
many photos of Navy jeeps in the National Archives that were painted Olive
Drab or Marine Corps green. It appears that when in a combat area the Navy
(and Seabees) used the green. Most of the photos of gray jeeps are in non
combat (secured) areas. In the book "Jeeps Over the Pacific" there are
several photos of Navy and SeaBee jeeps all painted green. In several
photos of jeeps can be seen a small set of numbers stencilled on the side.
These numbers all start with 94, such as 94134-EE (on a jeep and trailer)
and 94611-A (on General MacArther's jeep in several photos). I don't know
if this was for navy use or not as the captions do not indicate this.

    Ford did supply the Navy with GTBA, GTBB, and GTBC bomb trucks painted
Ocean Gray direct from the factory.

     In the case of later jeeps, I have some Willys factory photos of M-170
ambulance jeeps that were painted gray at the factory. The hood numbers
all start with 94-xxxxx. All the post war Navy jeeps I have seen in photos
have hood (registration) numbers that start with 94- including M-151's.

           Jim Gilmore MVPA # 5843

Member Ist Michigan AOD Chapter MVPA
               Great Lakes Chapter MVPA
               Ohio Motor Pool Chapter MVPA