60 AMP ALT QUESTION:

From: Henry Fackovec (Fackovec@mediaone.net)
Date: Sat Feb 12 2000 - 14:35:25 PST

Hey All:

I took advantage of the nicest day so far this year to get the M37 going.

Here is the history, the two questions follow:

1-In the fall while on a fall foliage trip, the M37 stoped charging: The
engine was still running, the voltage mesured at the batteries was 14.5
volts (+-). The truck drove fine (No lights, no radio) but when the engine
was shut off, was dead as a doornail. (We jump started it each morning, and
just left it running all day<G>)

2- On my return, I decided it was a bad generator and/or regulator, I
decided that I as I am no longer going to show it for factory class, I would
upgrade it to a 60 amp alt system. (it did not hurt that I had a 60 amp
alternator and conversion kit on the shelf<G>), after installing the 60 amp
setup, I jumped the truck and had similar results, It would run fine, it
WOULD charge, but 5 min after shuting the truck off, it went DOA.

3- I them assumed that the old and cruddy starter switch must be draining
the system (Notice I said assumed, I know, I know...) and I replaced it.
Same problem.

4- (Today) I checked the old batteries (About a year old), and found that
they were bad (is the electrolyte suposed to be frozen at 30 degrees
f)? ), I took 2 new 2hns off the shelf, filled them and installed them. The
truck started, charged the batteries, they stay charged.

But now the questions:

1- Should the batteries be boiling over and spilling acid on the ground? ( I
probably over filled them a little, but there is about a pint of acid on the
ground)

2- After 10 min of ideling the fan belt destroyed itself, the pully on the
alt seemed really hot, could this just have been from
misadjustment of the belt, or should I be looking further? (I assume that
the 60 amp system uses the same single belt as the 25 amp system, is this
correct? The pully turns free on the alt.

Any help is appreciated

Hank
fackovec@m151.com

53 M37
62 M151
67 M718
70 M109A3
And a new house with BIG garage to play with them anytime<S>