Re: [MV] 60 AMP ALT QUESTION:

From: Joe Foley (redmenaced@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Feb 12 2000 - 15:00:33 PST

The truck drove fine (No lights, no
> radio) but when the engine
> was shut off, was dead as a doornail. (We jump
> started it each morning, and
> just left it running all day<G>)
++++++++++++
Running the truck with the charging system not working
will run the battery down, slowly, but it will do it.

> 2- On my return, I decided it was a bad generator
> and/or regulator, I
> decided that I as I am no longer going to show it
> for factory class, I would
> upgrade it to a 60 amp alt system. (it did not hurt
> that I had a 60 amp
> alternator and conversion kit on the shelf<G>),
> after installing the 60 amp
> setup, I jumped the truck and had similar results,
> It would run fine, it
> WOULD charge, but 5 min after shuting the truck off,
> it went DOA.
+++++++++
At this point I'd say the batteries needed a good two
day charge, with a charger.

> 3- I them assumed that the old and cruddy starter
> switch must be draining
> the system (Notice I said assumed, I know, I
> know...) and I replaced it.
> Same problem.
++++++++
At this point I'd be looking at the regulator,
especially the points. My M-135 does this same thing
on occasion, bumpy dirt roads seem to help.

> 4- (Today) I checked the old batteries (About a year
> old), and found that
> they were bad (is the electrolyte suposed to be
> frozen at 30 degrees
> f)? ), I took 2 new 2hns off the shelf, filled them
> and installed them. The
> truck started, charged the batteries, they stay
> charged.
++++++++
It is possible for the "dead" batteries to freeze at
30 degrees. When they die the acid turns to water,
the acid turned into lead sulphate and water. The
sulphur smell is the chemical action of charging or
discharging, turning the water and lead sulphate into
acid and back. Thaw them out, charge them up, and go.

> But now the questions:
>
> 1- Should the batteries be boiling over and spilling
> acid on the ground? ( I
> probably over filled them a little, but there is
> about a pint of acid on the
> ground)
+++++++++
No, they should bubble if they're charging or
discharging. If you overfilled them will they were
cold, the electrolyte will expand and may cause this
problem.

> 2- After 10 min of ideling the fan belt destroyed
> itself, the pully on the
> alt seemed really hot, could this just have been
> from
> misadjustment of the belt, or should I be looking
> further? (I assume that
> the 60 amp system uses the same single belt as the
> 25 amp system, is this
> correct? The pully turns free on the alt.
++++++++
Sounds like you're charging through a short somewhere,
I'd go for the regulator.

Joe