Re: [MV] Caution Left Hand Drive Stencilling

From: John Edwards (edwardsj@bigpond.com)
Date: Mon Feb 14 2000 - 00:01:01 PST

Tim,

I have a WWII monthly magazine set that came out 27 years ago (sheesh that
long !). I kept them, binders & all.

(1) There is one colour snap of WWII England prior to D-Day. On the rear
canvas of one jeep, to the left of the rear window it says "max speed 35mph"
and to the right of the rear window is says "Left hand drive no signals".

Each jeep is fitted with wading gear, the canvas water bag is strapped to
the jerrican holder and the bumperettes of two jeeps were painted white. The
jeeps are loading up into LCM's at a dockside ramp with two big LST's US 374
& US 314, Nissen huts etc in the rear picture (ALL in colour).

(2) There is also another colour snap which is of a GMC (I guess) towing a
field gun. On the rear RHS mud flap of the GMC there is signage which says
"Caution this vehicle is left hand drive". Another vehicle so far
unidentified by me has the same vehicle signage.
The unit marking in this photo is 1-32F B5. The photo was taken somewhere in
England in preparation for D-Day. Markings appear to be, 1 "Big Red One"
Div, 32nd Field Arty B Company 5th Vehicle. (markings & unit vehicle
details match my book on US army order of battle).

So I'm sure the US forces used the signage, but it appears to be either
undocumented or not standard convention.

If you ever find the magazine called its called "World War II" Issue No58 by
Orbis Publishing (1973).

Rgds,

John