[MV] Caution Left Hand Drive Stencilling

From: Ian Wallace (iwallace@uswest.net)
Date: Mon Feb 14 2000 - 12:29:13 PST

Oh oh... Another Ferret quandary! What about "middle-hand drive", as
the
driver's position is smack in the center of the vehicle? Should I be
labeling
my Ferret as such? I've had to "retrain" myself to not keep to the left
of
the lane, because if I do that, the left tires are running on or over
the
center line! Also, as a motorcycle rider I've learned over the years to

never, never ride on the center "slick strip" of the roadway. Now I've
had
to change my habits again! Ah, the fun of MIL-VEH ownership!!!!

Ian Wallace
1960 Ferret Mk 2/3, Middle-hand Drive (somehow that didn't come out
right ;-)

Pro*
> Hi List
>
> I've asked this one before a while back - but still dont know the
answer.

> During WW2 it was common place to see American manufactured vehicles
with
> "Caution Left Hand Drive" stencilled on the back.... especially in
England

> I presume this was because in England we drive on the Left.
>
> I have a 1956 photo of a British RAF Vehicle in Germany with "Caution
> Right
> Hand Drive" stencilled on the back (In English and German).
>
> I also presume this was because in Germany (and the rest of
Continental
> Europe) they drive on the Right.
>
> So my question - Were any Right Hand Drive vehicles during WW2
stencilled
> "Caution Right Hand Drive" when being operated in Continental Europe.
Or