Re: [MV] Caution Left Hand Drive Stencilling

From: Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Date: Mon Feb 14 2000 - 23:27:02 PST

-----Original Message-----
From: Renaud OLGIATI <rolgiati@conexion.com.py>
To: Military Vehicles List <mil-veh@uller.skylee.com>
Date: 14 February 2000 22:23
Subject: Re: [MV] Caution Left Hand Drive Stencilling

>>Oh oh... Another Ferret quandary! What about "middle-hand drive", as
>>the driver's position is smack in the center of the vehicle?

Stalwarts too and for anyone who hasn't tried it, middle-hand-drive is the worst
of all worlds no matter what side of the road you drive on, invariably the
rearwards view in the mirrors is necessarily dreadful as they're both feet away
and it does actually make road position judgement difficult.

>Was this not also a peculiarity of the first Land Rovers ?
>
>(compulsory MV content : Dont know if any of these were used by the UK
>Armed Forces ;-)

It may very well have been evaluated, in an effort to standardise the mil had
some 80 early LRs fitted with RR B40 engines as it became apparent the hugely
expensive and complex Champ wasn't doing all they desired, but ultimately
finding them too heavy and powerful for the design, some 3 are known to exist.

Some LRs were even specially made in 4x2 configuration, and I used to drive one
officially, until someone realised that a production car would be a better,
cheaper and wholly more comfortable alternative for simple road duties.

The LHD stencil or plate even was a legal requirement on all LHD vehicles, there
was no spec or requirement for any form of turn signal until the late 60's and
the only legislation covered the presentation of hand signals, I had to complete
the first part of my driving test in 1963 using hand signals only until the
examiner gave the authority to use the flashing indicators provided being
satisfied with the correct presentation of the manual method.

Under these legal circumstances it was essential therefore to inform following
vehicles that the vehicle was LHD and no hand signals could be expected.

There was some discussion previously about civilian plates on our privately
owned vehicles, we do need to remember here that the mil up to W.W.II was
required and did display normal civilian registration numbers and carry our
annual tax disc (paper) in a manufacturer provided holder correctly on the left
side and forwards of the vehicle centre eg., The Morris Commercials will be seen
to have the glass fronted disc holder affixed to the rear of the left side
bonnet (hood) vertical panel. (There's one pictured on Chuck Chriss's excellent
Olive-Drab).

Richard
(Southampton UK)