Re: Mounting M998 HMMWV tires... help!

From: mblair1@home.net
Date: Sat Feb 19 2000 - 01:37:28 PST

I wrote:
> When I reassembled the wheel without the runflat, I found that the
> bead came nowhere close to touching the rim. What is the proper way to
> seat a bead without a bead lock to make things easy?

Within milliseconds after I sent out my posting, at least two folks
suggested using a ratcheting tie-down strap around the circumference
of the tire, along with a lot of air (much volume, little pressure),
to push the bead against the rim enough that the tire can start to
take air, and then removing the strap and retreating to a safe
distance to finish seating the bead. It worked great! Thanks!

My wheel weights haven't come in yet, so I haven't tried out the
bubble balancer with a full wheel. I put a spare rim on it, and
everything seemed to go together OK. I'll let y'all know how it works
out, and up update my web page accordingly. I'm also doing a lot of
other repairs on my truck (alignment, replacing the coolant and
hydraulic hoses, checking out all of the gear boxes, replacing a
radius rod end, and that's just the major stuff... plus, I want to
spend more time with my 2.5-ton, which I have neglected for the last
couple of months), so it'll probably be at least a month or two before
I can do a road test to make sure that I balanced the tires properly.
The slide-hammer bead breaker that I got worked well.

Again, I have pictures of the tire-changing tools I got on my web page
if anybody is interested, along with information about where I got
them. As I recall, at least one or two folks wanted to hear about what
I got and how well it worked when I asked about bubble balancers a
little while ago.

Thanks again!

--
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://pgp.ai.mit.edu/