Re: [MV] Confused in CA about M35 rules.

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Tue Feb 22 2000 - 06:52:10 PST

>I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I really, truly, want to
>be proven absolutely wrong on this one. Many list members have stated
>that they didn't think that CDL should be necessary for non-commercial
>use of my truck, but...

Dito, I have come up with the same result in WI. Some list people keep
throwing out the concept that a historic plate (or collector plate in WI) OR
non-commercial (not for money) use (or farm use) does not need a CDL, but
the codes and the state patrol and the DMV all say otherwise. The codes say
if the truck is over 26k then you need a B and if your trailer is over 10k
then you need an A, the only exception to the trailer part is for an RV,
that's what it says plane as day, no other exceptions, so go figure?

Personally I think I am just going to bite the bullet and get the damn A
CDL, but being that I am not driving interstate for money the medical part
is not required, or so I've been told. Dito for the airbrake cert, not
required unless your truck actually has airbrakes, or plan to drive one with
airbrakes.

It's actually kind of silly to look at individual states codes anymore
anyway, the are all comming from the feds and if you don't have the fed
approved codes now..... you will, just give it time.

je