Re: [MV] Vehicle Display Security

From: Tim Bell (tcb@hasher.demon.co.uk)
Date: Tue Feb 22 2000 - 05:46:23 PST

Hi Dewey

You could try a length of rope with some steel spikes - easy to put up -
easy to take down - flexible. Knock the spikes into the ground at required
spacing and tie rope to top of spike.

I've found it to be a fairly effective way to stop most people.

That said there'll always be one person who ignores the rope and tries to
climb onto the roof of ones vehicle.... and normally when challenged seems
to think that because there's no sign to say do not climb on the vehicle, it
means it's OK to do so... and if there is a sign... thinks it doesnt apply
to them.... but would be most upset if you found their car in the public car
park and stood on their roof.

For the persistent "enthusiast"... a large snarly dog tends to be a
benefit.... if they still keep coming, then get a tape measure, as them to
stand still, measure their length and width and ask them if they want their
coffin lined with silk or cotton.

In some cirumstances Razor wire might be a better bet than rope - check your
health and safety manual and your insurance first.

Remember, ultimately the best security is to ensure someone stays guard over
your vehicles at all times, and that there's nothing that's not bolted or
chained down, because it will walk.

I once caught someone in my Jeep, he'd circumvented the perimeter rope and
the guards, undone the rear of the jeep canvas to gain entry to the vehicle
because the doors were chained shut, and was in the process of pulling off
the panel light hoods - I still havent figured out why and he refused to
give us a reason - needless to say the "gentleman" concerned was politely
removed from my vehicle and escorted to the show organiser's office from
whence he was dealt with by the local police.

On another occasion I returned to my Jeep to find 12 Brownies (Young Girl
Guides) had managed to squeeze themselves into the vehicle and were
pretending they were driving to the beach.... fortunately the vanilla
ice-cream didnt stain the canvas.

Good luck in whatever method you go for - one thing's for certain the only
surefire way to protect your vehicles from over zealous "members of the
public" isnt likely to be legal.

Regards

Tim