Re: [MV] 1945 Alligator]

From: jim gilmore (jgilmore@oeonline.com)
Date: Wed Feb 23 2000 - 01:31:47 PST

Doug wrote,
>Don't know whether us Aussies got it right or not. But out here the
>version with the centre mounted engine, open top and cargo ramp at
>the rear are called "Buffalos"
>(note the allusion to a beast of burden = transport) .
>
>Those with the fire support turret (75mm short howitzer),
>enclosed top and rear mounted engine, no ramp, were called "Alligators"
>(note the allusion to teeth = gun).
>
>There being such a difference between types, I doubt they are both called
>Buffalos?

      OK, Let me state once again. They are both "Water
Buffalo"............Tom Price (Ohio), Frank Buck (Pennsylvania) and Bruce
McAurther (Michigan) all own LVT 4 , which is the open top/ramp model.
All three of the LVT's have a factory installed data plate on the bulkhead
that states "Water Buffalo" and has a drawing of a water buffalo etched in
the plate, horns and all !

     Henry Vanetta (Ohio) has a LVT 4 A which has the turret with cannon.
On the bulkhead behind the driver is a factory installed data plate that
states "Water Buffalo" and has the same drawing. As far as the Food
Machinery Co. (FMC) which built both models, is concerned, they are all
Water Buffaloes.
      They may have many other nicknames, but the correct name is what the
manufacturer officially called them.

           Jim Gilmore MVPA # 5843

Member Ist Michigan AOD Chapter MVPA
               Great Lakes Chapter MVPA