Re: [MV] M151A2s in Desert Storm???

From: COLIN STEVENS (colin@pacdat.net)
Date: Wed Mar 08 2000 - 00:05:42 PST

Apparnetly some were.

Wheels & Tracks had a photo of some special unit modified MUTTs painted sand
colour being used in Northern Iraq right after the war.

When surplussed out at Fort Lewis, Washington, USA, there were a batch of US
75th infantry (i.e. Rangers) special MUTTs painted flat black. They were
rigged as gun vehicles and some as command vehicles. Gun vehicles had some
radiator armour etc. Ian Newby (BC, Canada) photographed them. John
Hawthorne (BC, Canada) acquired and has restored a Command one with wide
tires. Rare and interesting vehicles, well worth researching and
preserving. Our understanding is that they were used in the Gulf War by US
forces ... but who knows? If one veteran says no, then he is probably
correct for the area he was in, so keep checking with others. For example,
the SAS Land Rovers and SAS Unimog supply vehicles were basically not seen
by the other British soldiers, but they were there. Just ask Saddam's Scud
soldiers' widows!

By the way, I recall from seeing on the news broadcasts during the war that
'normal' MUTTs were used in the Gulf War, probably by some of the Coalition
Forces other than the USA - some of the Arab forces?

I was not there, I was (still am) a Captain in the Canadian reserves but was
never called up though the CO of my old unit apparently contacted Ottawa and
offered our Regiment for service. Gee ... and we missed out on the chance to
wear the Canadian desert uniform - green combat clothing with a white hat
(the Tilley hat is admittedly the BEST hat in the world - I wear one every
day - but a white one is a good aiming point).

Colin Macgregor Stevens
MVPA Member 954 (since 1977)
& member B Coy 1 Canadian Parachute Battalion (Living History)
Pitt Meadows, British Columbia, Canada
E-mail: colin@pacdat.net
Personal web site: http://bcoy1cpb.pacdat.net
1944 Willys MB