War Assets Administration Sale Booklet

From: JOHN SEIDTS (john@astory.com)
Date: Thu Mar 09 2000 - 05:40:40 PST

I have just picked up a copy of an original WWII War Assets Administration
Vehicle Spot Sale catalog from January 1947. It doesn't list vehicle serial
numbers, but it does list vehicle types available at the sale, terms and
conditions of sale, and has the notes of the original owner. I will post
scans of these when I get a chance in the next few weeks.

Interestingly, there are typed notes which indicate possible uses of some of
the equipment. The prices were fixed by regulation, but bidders were
allowed to offer more than the amount specified, and had preference if they
did this. The notes in the side lines are just dollar amounts, but I
haven't figured out if they are the amounts paid over the fixed price (they
are all less than the fixed price) or if they are the actual bids received.

There are too many types of vehicles and trailers listed for me to put here,
but WC63's CCKW's in various forms-including a complete mobile machine shop-
and lots of airfield trailers. Some are unfamiliar and don't even show up
in my TM 9-2800.

Neat piece of history. I missed the bid for it on ebay, and the high bidder
made a nice copy and mailed it to me.

john@astory.com
http://www.astory.com