ARMY'S NEXT TRUCK

From: John Bowen (oreuc@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Mar 14 2000 - 17:34:34 PST

"Automotive News" this week is reporting that Ford and DamilerChrysler are
competing to supply the Army's next truck with modified F-350's Crew Cabs
and Dodge Ram Quad Cab 2500's.

The trucks are described as having air-adjustable suspensions,
electronically controlled shocks, tire-inflation systems and beefier
differentials. Engines are diesels, the same as the civilian versions.

Dennis Wend, director of the National Automotive Center, a division of the
Army's Tank-Automotive and Armaments Command is quoted as saying "...We want
to make sure we're giving the best technology to the soldier and the best
value to the taxpayer." He states that the latest procurement of HUMMWV's
cost the Army $60,000 per while these military versions of civilian trucks
will likely cost no more than $40,000 apiece.

The modified trucks will be called COMBATT for Commercially Based Tactical
Truck. The HUMMWV is criticized as being overbuilt for many of the daily
chores of carting soldiers and their equipment, particularly in rear guard
duty. Wend says the Army does not intend to scrap the HUMMWV, purchasing
about 1,000 per year but "...it was really designed as a weapons platform
for machine guns and anti-tank missiles, and that's the role it should
have."

The goal of the COMBATT program is to save the military money by tapping the
auto industry for mass-production vehicles according to "Automotive News".
Ford, it's reported, has even propsed the idea of leasing its vehicles to
the military.

Now the interesting part of the story for all of you who feel your future
rights to own MV's is in jeopardy. Mr. Wend states in the story, "...We
only put an average of 5,000 miles on our vehicles per year. They could be
very attractive to the commercial marketplace after we're done with them."

                           -30-

J. D. Bowen
'43 MB
'68 M715