Re: [MV] AM General is preventing HMMWV Registrations

From: John Brennan (brennan1968@home.com)
Date: Sun Mar 19 2000 - 07:59:02 PST

Thanks for all of your replies. The information and suggestions you have
supplied will help.

Some clarifications. I have not received a letter from CT DMV, just a phone
call requesting the plates back. I still have the plates and will consult
with a lawyer as to my course of action. The AM General letter does state
that the HMMWV does not meet FMVSS requirements. I'm curious then as to why
that when I took it through inspection no one at the CT DMV inspection
center picked up any of these issues and therefore passed the vehicle.

A couple of the messages posted stated that the vehicles at the auction were
for off-road use only. This is the first I have heard of this. I did not
purchase the Humvee at the auction. I purchased this Humvee from a
gentleman who had purchased several of them at the Auction. I have the
From-97 from the US Government and nothing is stated on that form about any
type of use. I also have a copy of the bill of sale from the auction and
again nothing is stated about the type of use on that form either.

I am also a member of the MVPA and have contacted them as well. Come
tomorrow I will be contacting a lawyer. I understand CT has a MV club and
hence another phone call. The bottom line is that I own my M1038. I'm
happy with that but I would like to take it out once and a while. It's not
my primary vehicle. Fact is, if I include my bike, it's my 5th vehicle.
And yeah, driving it around and showing it off is part of the fun. Yet I've
only done that twice since I got the plates for it. Just like my bike I
take responsibility when I'm riding it. If I fall off of my bike and get
road rash it's my problem. If I bang my face on the ridged Humvee steering
wheel or on the oh-not-so-soft dashboard then it's my problem. If I owned
an older MV that didn't meet the FMVSS requirements then it would be ok. An
option would be to upgrade the vehicle to meet all the safety standards that
were in effect in 1993 as stated by Glen (thank you and tell your friend
thanks for the info). By doing that however, then my M1038 is being
distanced from MV I'm trying to preserve. It then won't be the same vehicle
nor have the same value.

I'm sure this will be a drawn out ordeal. I will put post messages as
events happen. Thanks again for the feedback.

John