Re: [MV] First amphibious tank?

From: Joe Foley (redmenaced@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Mar 19 2000 - 20:39:40 PST

--- islander <islander@midmaine.com> wrote:
> *This message was transferred with a trial version
> of CommuniGate(tm) Pro*
> Just a follow up...
>
> >It's quite true that the U.S. experiment with DD
> tanks was somewhat less than
> >successful. The problem, however, was not in the
> concept, but in the
> >execution.
>
> Exactly. Most amphibious vehicles will "drown" in
> surf and/or heavy
> waves. I have a M29C Weasel and the training film
> says to go back to
> shore if the water is so much as choppy! Even DUKWs
> have to be careful
> and must stay away from surf from what I have read
> on this list.
>
> The US also had Shermans and Stuarts fitted with
> deep water kits, so it
> is entirely possible that some of these were in need
> of recovery. They
> didn't swim, rather they could submerge up to a
> fixed depth.
>
> BTW, the Germans had submersible tanks in 1940 ready
> for the invasion of
> Great Britain that never was. These were PzIIIs
> fitted with snorkels and
> could operate at a depth of 15m below the surface.
> Also the first batch
> of Tigers were outfitted to be able to run under
> water for river
> crossings in Russia. However it proved impractical
> in practice and
> further production abandoned the setup.
>
> >Certainly, the men who volunteered to crew these
> tanks - in EITHER service
> >- must have had Great Big Brass Ones!
>
> Well said! If I were told to drive off the ramp of
> a landing craft in
> one of those I would have said, "you want me to do
> WHAT?!?" :-)
But that's what they made the M-26 Pacific FOR!! If
you haven't stood next to one of those you can't
imagine how big it is. The rear differential is
mounted on the top of the frame rails and there is
still only about 12" of ground clearance!!

Dad pulled out the swamped DUKW's, Weasels, Tanks,
whatever...... They also had charge of accumulating
abandoned vehicles.

Joe