HMMWV Gathering

From: Richard Tait (rtait@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Mar 19 2000 - 20:42:16 PST

List,
Late yesterday afternoon, after completing a shop van shakedown cruise
with Mark Blair, it was my pleasure to meet the owners of three HMMWV's
at a now unnamed Southern California airport. Mark had his HMMWV at
home and I was allowed to be a fringe member of this clique, owning a
CUCV Blazer. We started out with one HMMWV and shortly two others
showed up. The drivers and passengers spent a good half hour sharing
tales and comparing the different vehicles. It is this camaraderie that
is one of the main reasons I took up the hobby of MV's on the first
place.

This was maybe two short hours before the current thread hit the fan on
this list. I am incensed that our government would even think of
knuckling under to the heavy handed implied threats of AMG. I agree
with Jim Gilmore. Why would AMG let these things out on the road
carrying our sons and daughters? If you see a HMMWV in your rear view
mirror, you'd better pull over and let this unsafe contraption pass at a
safe distance. Also, don't ever travel next to an M151A2. It just may
spontaneously flip over and land on top of you.

Sarcasm here? You bet, but I do not find this at all funny. I am
reminded of the story of the frog and the pot of hot water. If you try
to drop the frog into a pot of hot water, it will immediately jump out.
If however, you place a frog in a pot of cold water and slowly start
heating it, eventually you will have a dead frog cooking in boiling
water.

Our freedoms are being taken away slowly, the water is heating up and we
don't even notice.

I sold the only AM product I ever owned, a 1983 CJ-8. I loved the
engine but hated the carburetor. Of course, living in CA, I couldn't
legally do anything about the $600 carb.

Matt Tait
Fullerton, CA
M109A3 (converted from M35A2) - Kaiser
M274A5 - Baifield