[MV] First amphibious tank?

From: Raimondo L. Torelli (thealamo@iigbna.iigb.na.cnr.it)
Date: Mon Mar 20 2000 - 04:28:37 PST

At 22.12 19/03/00 -0500, GEOFF wrote:
>Joe,
>
>This is what they call a Sherman "DD" tank (DD=Duplex drive). This was a
British innovation...
>In recent years, several original DD tanks have been raised from the floor
of the
>English Channel off OMAHA Beach, and are now on display at a local French
museum. ... snip ...
>In addition, there is quite a nice, complete example on display at the
Bovington Tank Museum.

...... snip .....
>I hope this answers some of your questions.
>Regards,
>
>Geoff Winnington-Ball

Mar 20 2000

Another DD tank has been recovered some two years ago in the Gulf of
Salerno. Unfortunately, I have not been able to get more info on its
whereabouts. A team of sub found it.
I heard it at the TV, they said that it was an IMPORTANT discovery because
the DD Sherman tank was believed to be used on the Normandy landing only...
Any more info?

Regards and Get Them Rolling!

Raimondo - M.V.P.A. 15878
(Need for presents or collection decorative ceramics? For the best handmade
original Italian Ceramics of Capodimonte, please check here:
http://www.ceramicofnaples.it)