[MV] First amphibious tank _DUKW defence

From: Gordon.W.I. McMillan (gwim2@student.open.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Mar 20 2000 - 00:25:35 PST

Errr, well then.

Having owned DUKW, Weasel, and GPA, but having spent most of my time
floating in other peoples amphibs......

I once heard the Weasel described as semi-amphibious (that translates like
'slightly dead') and that's a good term for it - no freeboard at all. The
GPA isn't much better and Ben Carlin's Half-Safe only got round the world
by being thoroughly roofed over (plus luck)

I'd have to disagree on the DUKW though, better sea-keeping habits than
many boats I've been in, quite capable of high seas and nasty weather.
There is a particularly impressive film of an early DUKW in surf trials
off Cape Cod, going out against surf that was higher than the DUKW was
long, or about 30 feet to you non-owners. Quite good enough for me....

Gordon